Here are some homemade healthy soups, You can also try immune boosting drinks and stay healthy and stay home. A strong health has always been to live a long and healthy life. Now we are dealing with an Unprecedented crisis in the form of Coronavirus, having a strong immune system has become more important than ever.
We can Strengthen the body’s natural defense system through a time taking process, there are several things you can try to reduce the risk of infection including healthy soups.
1. Mix Vegetable Soup
This is an easy and tasty recipe to make a vegetable clear soup. This soup is light, healthy and nutritious. I suggest using veggies like Carrots, Beets, Broccoli, Bell Pepper, Spinach, Cabbage and mushrooms.
- In a pan, take 1 tablespoon oil. You can use olive oil or sesame oil. You can also use butter. Add ½ teaspoon chopped garlic and ¾ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
- Then add ¼ cup chopped spring onions and Saute well. Now add ½ cup finely chopped cabbage, ⅓ cup finely chopped carrots, ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped capsicum and ¼ cup finely chopped french beans and Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add 3 cups of water. Season with ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or add as per taste.
- Season with salt as required. Grate about a pinch of nutmeg in the soup.
- Garnish the soup with some chopped spring onion greens and Serve clear vegetable soup hot.
2. Carrot Tomato Soup
The tomato carrot soup has the sweetness of the carrots & onions, along with the slight tanginess of the tomatoes. Garlic in the soup gives a slight sharpness with the earthy flavors of cumin.
- Rinse tomatoes and carrots first. Chop all the veggies.
- In a pressure cooker add chopped veggies and add 2 cups of water.
- Stir and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or till the vegetables are cooked well.
- No need to drain the boiled veggies.
- Once the vegetables become warm, blend with a blender.
- Heat olive oil or butter in a pan. Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder and salt.
- Add the vegetable puree to this mixture. Stir and simmer the soup for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish the soup with cilantro or parsley leaves.
3. Cream Of Broccoli Soup
In this soup I have not used cream. Pureed broccoli along with milk, makes the soup smooth and creamy. But if you want, you can garnish the soup with some cream.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add the onions and garlic and sauté till they soften.
- Add the flour. Stir and saute for 2 minutes on a low flame.
- Then add the drained broccoli. Stir and then add water or vegetable stock. Stir well and cover the pan with its lid.
- Simmer till the broccoli is cooked well and tender. About 6 to 7 mins.
- In the meantime heat milk on stove top or in the microwave.
- No need to boil, just heat the milk.
- When the soup mixture is still slightly hot or warm, using an immersion hand blender, blend the soup till smooth in the same pan. Add hot milk to the pureed soup and stir well.
- Keep the soup pan on the stove top and begin to simmer on a low flame.
- Just gently heat through the soup. No need to bring it to a boil. Give occasional stirs.
- Lastly season with salt, freshly crushed black pepper and nutmeg powder.
- Serve cream of broccoli soup hot, plain or with toasted buttered bread.
4. Lemon Coriander Soup
It is a clear vegetable soup flavored with lemon and coriander leaves. Lemon adds to the tangy taste and coriander leaves give subtle citrus notes in this vegetable soup.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil or any neutral flavored oil in a pan.
- Keep flame to a low or medium-low. When the oil becomes hot, add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic and chopped green chilli.
- Sauté ginger, garlic, green chilli for a few seconds on medium-low flame till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away. Next add ¼ cup chopped spring onion whites.
- Sauté spring onions for a minute on a medium-low flame to medium flame.
- Add the chopped vegetables - ¼ cup chopped carrots and 1 to 1.25 cups chopped button mushrooms. You can add 1.5 cups of chopped mixed vegetables like cabbage, corn, baby corn, broccoli, carrots, snap peas, green peas, cauliflower and mushrooms.
- Mix very well. Stir fry on a medium-low to medium flame for about 3 minutes. If not using mushrooms then stir fry for less time. Mushrooms leave water and hence the vegetable mixture does not stick to the pan while stir frying.
- Add 4 cups of water. When the veggies are cooked, add ⅓ cup coriander leaves and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add lemon juice as per taste. 2 tablespoons of lemon juice gives a good sour taste in the soup. If you want a less tangy or sour taste, then add ½ to 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Add freshly crushed black pepper as per taste and salt as per taste.
- Mix and serve hot lemon coriander soup in soup bowls or soup mugs.
5. Spinach Soup
This spinach soup is a good way to include healthy greens in your diet and is low calorie too. Despite being one of the healthiest greens, not everyone likes the taste of spinach and that is especially true in the case of some kids and adults alike.
First rinse the palak leaves very well in water.
- Then chop the palak leaves and keep aside.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add the bay leaf and fry for 2-3 seconds.
- Now add the chopped garlic and fry till the garlic is light browned. Don't burn the garlic.
- Saute the garlic on a low flame. Add chopped onions and saute till the onions are softened.
- Add the chopped palak/spinach. Stir and season with black pepper and salt.
- Now add the besan or gram flour. Stir well and pour 2 cups of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cumin powder and stir well.
- Switch off the fire and let the soup mixture cool.
- When the mixture's heat has reduced or has become warm, then blend with a hand blender or in a mixer till smooth.
- Remove the bay leaf while blending.
- Check the seasoning and add some more salt or pepper if required.
- If the soup looks thick, then add 1/4 or 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Keep the well blended soup back on the stove for simmering for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve spinach soup hot sprinkled with some freshly crushed black pepper or grated paneer, cheese or topped with some cream.