Today I am preparing a famous and very tasty homemade
pickle from South India Gongura / Pulicha Keerai Pickle Recipe. I am sure like me and many of you love this pickle to the core. It's a very spicy, tangy, tempting and finger-licking one. Any guesses? Yes, it is Gongura Pickle and in English called Sorrel Leaves.
- 3- 4 cups Gongura / Pulicha Keerai leaves/Sorrel leaves ( 1 bunch )
- 6 flakes Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 cup oil
- to taste Salt
Steps to make Gongura / Pulicha Keerai pickle Recipe:
- 1 1/2 tbsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 11/2 tbsps Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 10 - 15 nos Red Chillies
Pluck and wash gongura / pulicha keerai leaves
Pluck all the gongura / pulicha keerai leaves, wash them and set it aside freely so that they are free from moisture and any water content on the leaves.
Heat the Gongura / Pulicha Keerai leaves with oil
In a pan, add about 1 tbsp oil, add the Gongura / Pulicha Keerai leaves and cook them until they turn soft and mushy.
Fry the spices with oil
In a separate pan, add a tbsp of oil, add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, add dried red chillies and saute them for about a minute.
Add the roasted spices, add some salt and blend into a fine powder
Take them out and set aside to cool down. In a blender, add the roasted spices, add some salt and blend into a fine powder.
Blend garlic cloves and gongura / pulicha keerai
Into it garlic cloves and blend well and also add Gongura / Pulicha Keerai leaves and blend roughly.
Mix thickly sliced onions
Take the pickle out into a bowl and mix thickly sliced onions into it and give tempering as mentioned below.
1. In a tadka pan, add oil and heat it.
2. Add chana dal, urad dal and stir well.
3. Into it add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them pop up.
4. Add dried red chillies, stir for a few seconds.
5. Add curry leaves and let them crackle.
6. Add the tempering to the pickle.
6. Serve hot with ghee and rice!